The Deck - Mary Beth "Pixie" Grismore (10 of Spades, Indiana)

🎁Amazon Prime 📖Kindle Unlimited 🎧Audible Plus 🎵Amazon Music Unlimited 🌿iHerb 💰Binance

Our card this week is Mary Beth Pixie Grismore, the Ten of Spades from Indiana.

In 1978, Pixie was a young newlywed excited about moving from Indiana back to her home

state of Iowa to be with her new husband.

That’s when she vanished from her own home in the middle of the night, leaving behind

few clues and a chilling mystery that’s been unsolved for more than four decades.

I’m Ashley Flowers, and this is The Deck.

It was 8 a.m. on Wednesday, February 22, 1978, and a woman who we’ll call Eleanor had just

arrived at her sister Pixie’s house.

She was to be there bright and early along with Pixie’s two best friends, Dottie and

Bev, who were all helping Pixie pack the last of her things before a moving truck got there

at 1030.

You see, Pixie was moving out of the house she shared with her ex-husband and their two

young sons, which was on the family’s farm.

She was picking up everything and moving her and her two boys to the middle of nowhere

town Cordon, Iowa, some 400 miles from her tiny rural town of Marshall, Indiana, and

she was moving to be with her new husband, David.

But when Eleanor got to Pixie’s house at eight, she saw Dottie and Bev but noticed

Pixie’s car wasn’t in the driveway.

Dottie and Bev said that they hadn’t actually seen her yet either, but they were able to

let themselves inside because Pixie rarely locked her doors, something most of her friends


Minutes ticked by and there was still no sign of Pixie.

Her purse was there and the clothes that she had been wearing the day before were there,

but Pixie herself was nowhere to be found.

Eleanor called Pixie’s new husband, David, in Iowa to see if he’d heard from her, but

he hadn’t.

The two had only been married for 12 days and Pixie had spent most of that time in Indiana

preparing for the move.

Eleanor also phoned Pixie’s ex-husband, Robert, who lived in Marshall, but he said

that Pixie wasn’t with him either.

Now Robert was actually the reason that Pixie was in Indiana to begin with.

She and Eleanor were actually from Iowa, but Pixie moved to Indiana in the early 70s when

she married Robert, and not long after that, Eleanor also married an Indiana man and ended

up living just a mile down the road from Pixie.

Needless to say, the two sisters were extremely close, which is why when Pixie got remarried

to a man who lived back in Iowa, it was kind of bittersweet for Eleanor.

She was sad to see Pixie leave the small Indiana town that they both called home for several

years, even though she was happy that her sister found love again.

And she knew how excited Pixie was for the move, so she was excited for her.

Which is why when Pixie wasn’t home that morning, Eleanor couldn’t shake the sinking

feeling in her stomach that something was terribly wrong.

She searched the house for more clues and noticed that it looked as if Pixie had slept

in her bed, so Eleanor wondered if her sister had just left to run an errand.

But Bev and Dottie said that they went out the night before with Pixie.

And she hadn’t mentioned anything about needing to go anywhere the next morning.

By the time 10 a.m. rolled around, Eleanor couldn’t explain away her fears any longer,

so she called the local sheriff to report Pixie missing.

There was no hesitation.

The sheriff’s office filed the missing persons report right away, and deputies responded

to Pixie’s farmhouse to begin an investigation.

Investigators poked around the house but found no evidence of anything sinister and few clues

pointing to what might have happened to Pixie in the early morning hours of February 22nd.

I mean, there were no signs of a struggle, no signs of a robbery, or any kind of break-in

at her house whatsoever.

In fact, a dispatcher for the county sheriff’s office told the Indianapolis News a few days

after Pixie’s disappearance, quote,

Dottie and Bev were the last ones to see Pixie, so they were questioned right away.

They told officers that they had a girls’ night the night before as a little going-away

kind of last hurrah for Pixie.

They had all squeezed into the front seat of Pixie’s 1973 Ford Thunderbird because

the back seat was already packed to the brim full of stuff for her move, and they made

the 20-minute drive to the nearby town of Terre Haute, Indiana.

Dottie and Bev said that they went to dinner at Red Lobster and then to the movies where

they saw Looking for Mr. Goodbar, a crime drama starring Diane Keaton.

After the movie, the girls told police that they all went dancing at a bar called Bo Disco

where they had a great time until Pixie dropped them off at home around 1.20 a.m.

When they said their goodbyes, Pixie told them that she would see them in the morning

to finish packing.

And that was that.

Dottie and Bev said that she wasn’t acting weird at all and genuinely seemed to have

every intention of seeing them both in less than seven hours.

So of course, their first worry was maybe she’d gotten in a car accident on her way

home, but that didn’t make any sense because her clothes that she had been wearing the

night before and her purse were found at the house.

So she had to have made it home at some point.

By mid-morning, Pixie’s family and police were half-expecting for her to just walk in

at any moment and explain that this whole thing had been a misunderstanding, and she’d

just gone to run that errand.

But investigators didn’t want to leave anything to chance.

So right away, police pulled out all the stops.

They got groups together to do ground searches.

They used helicopters for aerial searches.

They even put one of their most prominent detectives on the case, who was credited with

solving the Hollinsburg murders, an infamous quadruple homicide in Indiana.

But despite their best efforts in those first few hours, they found no trace of Pixie.

With so little physical evidence available, law enforcement needed to try something else.

They needed to learn more about Pixie’s life in hopes of tracking down leads that


They wanted to find any clues about why she might have left, or find anyone who might

have had it out for her.

As with a lot of cases like this, the spotlight quickly turned to the significant other, but

not Pixie’s current husband, her recent ex-husband, Robert.

Pixie and Robert had gotten married in 1972, and the relationship probably seemed somewhat

normal on paper.

They were essentially living the American dream.

A big farmhouse in a cute little town, and two adorable kids.

But investigators quickly figured out that their marriage was far from perfect.

You see, there were some rumors swirling around town that Pixie hadn’t always been faithful

to Robert.

And one such allegation involved a man that she worked with.

Keep in mind, Marshall was a small town.

It still is today, so I’m sure police didn’t exactly trust every rumor they heard.

But the clock was ticking, and they wanted to find Pixie, so they had to follow up on

everything, even if it was just gossip.

People around Marshall told police that between May and November of 1977, Pixie worked at

Turkey Run State Park, first as a lifeguard, and then as an attendant at the state park’s

gate entrance.

And according to a tip police received, during her employment at the park, Pixie was having

an affair with the park manager, who was also married.

According to police, this affair went on for a few months.

When Robert was interviewed by detectives, he said the affair had essentially become

public knowledge by the time he and Pixie divorced in late 1977.

Detectives working the case today aren’t sure if the park manager was questioned, because

it’s not documented in the case file.

But what they do know is that Robert really didn’t seem all that bitter about the whole


By all accounts, the divorce was amicable.

So any theory that the police may have initially had about Robert being a jealous or vengeful

ex-husband melted away once detectives talked with him and realized that he wanted to help

in any way he could.

I mean, he just wanted Pixie to be found safe.

Our reporting team talked with Pixie’s sister for this episode, who, again, we’re calling

Eleanor because she didn’t want to use her real name.

And she said that she never thought Robert was involved with her sister’s disappearance

in any way.

She said there is no chance Robert would have ever kidnapped or hurt Pixie.

And by the way, Eleanor wasn’t comfortable with being recorded for this episode because

of the pain and fear still surrounding her sister’s case to this day.

But she still wanted everyone to know the kind of person her sister really was.

She said that Pixie was this super likable and popular person in the community.

Eleanor said that she always looked up to Pixie because people just gravitated toward

her and she was talented in just about every way possible.

She could sing and play the piano.

She excelled in school.

She was in beauty pageants.

She was even a finalist in the Miss Iowa pageant when she was 18.

But maybe the biggest thing that stood out about Pixie was her confidence.

Eleanor said Pixie was ambitious, a natural leader and a trailblazer in a lot of ways.

Pixie was involved in local politics and ended up serving as the county coordinator for the

U.S. Senator Birch Bayh.

And she even went on to become Park County’s first Democratic chairperson when she was

just 24.

So it’s that confidence that drew people to her.

And Eleanor said she still channels her when she needs confidence herself.

But it wasn’t just Eleanor who felt this way about Pixie.

Her whole family adored her.

So when police were struggling to find any clues about what happened to her, Pixie’s

family took matters into their own hands.

Eleanor stayed at Pixie’s house when police first arrived the morning of February 22nd.

And she wrote out a long list of the items that she knew were in Pixie’s car.

Since Pixie’s Thunderbird was missing, officers said it would be helpful to know what exactly

they were looking for.

Eleanor’s list was detailed and gave officers items to be on the lookout for.

Things like a music box with ceramic figures that played Laura’s theme and an antique

barn wood plaque with the words, Henry, how could you?

In those first few days, police took photos of Pixie’s house and collected any evidence

they could.

And searches continued for her in and around Marshall.

But they found nothing.

Rumors continued to fly both about what happened and about Pixie herself.

But none of them stuck as actual leads.

According to an article in the Illinois newspaper called The Pantagraph, by the time April rolled

around and there was still no sign of Pixie, her parents decided to hire a psychic to help

find their daughter.

But this wasn’t just any psychic they hired.

This lady was known for helping police solve criminal cases.

According to a 1991 Chicago Tribune article, law enforcement estimated that out of the

predictions she provided, approximately 80% ended up being accurate.

So when this psychic told Pixie’s parents that their daughter had been shot in the head

and her body had been dumped somewhere near Turkey Run State Park, police wasted no time.

Now if you’ve ever been to Turkey Run, it is this beautiful, heavily wooded, 1100 acre

park about an hour west of Indianapolis with rugged trails and canyons and a creek that

runs across the property.

That meant that there was a lot of land for police to cover.

So on the weekend of April 8th, 1978, about six weeks after Pixie’s disappearance, law

enforcement and volunteers from the community formed a search party to scour the park.

Everyone searched tirelessly for hours and hours, but they eventually had to call it

quits when they found zero evidence to suggest that Pixie had been there at all before she

was killed, much less that her body had been dumped there.

To most people, the search probably seemed like a last ditch effort to locate Pixie because

detectives had exhausted the few leads that had come in.

And now even the supernatural tip they pursued didn’t pan out.

It seemed like all hope of finding Pixie, dead or alive, was lost.

But then, 70 days after her disappearance, a disturbing discovery a whole state away

left everyone with more questions than answers.

In the spring of 1978, police in Whitehall, Ohio, a town barely east of Columbus, Ohio,

received a call from the innkeeper of a local Holiday Inn.

The innkeeper was calling in a parking complaint about a car in their parking lot that seemed

like it was abandoned.

When officers got there, they found a silver-blue 1973 Ford Thunderbird sitting on the east

side of the hotel’s parking lot, backed into a parking space near some trees.

Here’s Detective John Dickey with the Whitehall Police Department, who’s working the case


When they were able to look into it, it didn’t have any license plates on it, the license

plates were missing, but the VIN plate was still there and all that.

So when they looked into it, they determined that the car had been reported stolen.

Officers towed the car to the Whitehall Police Department, and before inspecting it, they

did some more digging in the national database.

They realized that not only was the car reportedly stolen, but it was associated with an Indiana

woman who was missing.

The report said that Mary Beth Pixie Grismore and her Thunderbird disappeared back in February

in a little town in Indiana that was more than four hours west of Whitehall.

Now I know I’m mentioning a lot of different towns across a few states, so to help you

visualize all of this, I actually put a map in the blog post for this episode on our website,, and we’ll link out to that in the show notes.

At the Whitehall Police Department, officers got the car into their evidence bay, which

is basically like a garage below the agency’s offices.

And when they got it inside, they noticed a really bad smell.

So fearing the worst, police pried open the trunk, but they didn’t immediately see anything

out of the ordinary.

They saw some blankets and some towels, a raincoat, and then a foot.

Police quickly removed the clutter from the trunk, revealing the decomposing body of a


She was wearing blue jeans and a knit sweater that was pulled up over her head, and around

her neck was a thin rope.

Even though she was in an advanced state of decomposition, Whitehall police could tell

that the body matched Pixie’s description, mainly because of her blonde hair.

Whitehall detectives notified the authorities in Indiana that they’d discovered Pixie’s

missing car, and what they believed was her body.

And sure enough, after requesting dental records from the Indiana State Police, it was confirmed

that it was her.

Because of the state of decomposition she was in, police knew that she had likely died

weeks before she was found, perhaps even on the very day she had gone missing.

The coroner found no signs of sexual assault, and her cause of death came as no surprise,

strangulation by rope ligature.

Now that Pixie’s case had been reclassified from missing person to homicide, the FBI got

involved since her abduction crossed state lines.

And something that stuck out to investigators right away was the clothing that she was wearing.

Like I said, Pixie was dressed in blue jeans and a sweater, but here’s what puzzled investigators.

She wasn’t wearing any undergarments.

To them, there were two possible reasons for this.

Our investigative team got an exclusive interview with FBI Supervisory Special Agent Ed Wheeley

for this episode.

He’s working the case today, along with Detective Dickey.

To me, there’s two possibilities.

She was murdered and then dressed in those clothes by someone else.

That’s certainly a possibility.

She did sleep nude, okay?

If it’s early in the morning and you hear a knock and you know the movers are coming

and you rapidly jump up and pull some clothes on to go answer the door, or you hear something

at night and you jump up and pull rapidly, those are the two possibilities of that.

FBI agents leaned into their biggest and really only clue, Pixie’s car.

It had a few items scattered about, but it certainly didn’t look like the car of someone

who was moving their entire life from one state to another.

Specifically, some of the items that Eleanor had mentioned to them were nowhere to be found.

Things like household items, some of Pixie’s oil paintings that she liked to sign in all

caps and specifically an antique wall clock that her father had repaired and penciled

his initials inside of.

After noting the items that were missing, they gathered what they could, things like

beer bottles, a Band-Aid and a bag containing a map, and they dusted for prints.

Investigators were able to pull some prints off the car’s exterior, but Agent Wheelie

said that they never got any hits on those.

Police checked pawn shops in the Whitehall area to see if someone had tried to sell the

missing items, but they came up empty.

You can actually find a complete list of all of the items that were missing from Pixie’s

car on our website.

It’s based off that original list that her sister made for police the morning that she

was reported missing.

If you somehow have one of those items, or if you know someone who does, or maybe you

even see one of the missing items while you’re out thrifting, we’re going to have a number

that you can call.

We’re going to put it on the website, and at the end of this episode, police are still

looking for those items.

So now that police knew all of the items that were missing, some of them valued at hundreds

of dollars, they began wondering if robbery was the motive.

But they didn’t have enough evidence yet to settle into that assumption.

And it didn’t take long for another entirely different theory to be considered.

A possible serial killer.

According to reporting by the Indianapolis Star, police almost right away noticed similarities

between Pixie’s murder and another infamous unsolved case in Indiana.

Six months before Pixie disappeared, another Indiana resident went missing.

Her name was Anne Louise Harmeier.

Anne was a student at Indiana University traveling, and like Pixie, she was also known to be a

successful beauty pageant contestant.

On September 12th, 1977, she was driving through eastern Indiana on her way back to school

after spending the weekend at home when her car started acting up as she approached the

town of Martinsville, which is this town about an hour and a half southeast of Marshall.

So she pulls off to the side of the road and then just disappeared.

Anne’s body was found a month later in a cornfield a few miles away.

She had been sexually assaulted, and it appeared that she had been strangled with her own shoelaces,

according to Dennis Royalty’s reporting for the Indianapolis Star.

The similarities between Anne’s and Pixie’s cases were ones that detectives pondered for

a while, but they could never get that theory to stick.

Maybe it was because the two women vanished from different parts of the state, or maybe

there was just no evidence to point to the possibility of Pixie and Anne being killed

by the same person.

But whatever the case, investigators once again went back to the drawing board.

Though some internet sleuths may still be left to wonder if they’re connected, since

Anne’s case is still unsolved to this very day.

Detectives talked to Pixie’s ex-husband Robert again, but he still wasn’t even close to

being a suspect.

Not only did he seem genuinely distressed that Pixie had been murdered, but he also

had a solid alibi.

Robert’s mother placed him at her house from around midnight on February 22nd until much

later that morning.

But the thing about murder investigations, especially in small towns, is that while police

need evidence to think of someone as a suspect, members of the community don’t.

Robert had an alibi and wasn’t acting suspicious at all.

But that small town gossip was hard to shake.

Even in those days before social media, the court of public opinion was a thing.

People thought that Robert was involved in the murder.

Perhaps he hired someone to kill Pixie, or maybe he’d done it himself.

But Pixie’s sister Eleanor told us that Robert was truly distraught after Pixie’s

body was found, and the rumors floating around town only rubbed salt in the wound.

And it couldn’t have been easy for Robert and Pixie’s two kids.

They were just two and three at the time of her death, but as they grew up and became

aware of the speculation surrounding their father, I’m sure it was beyond hard on them.

And I can’t imagine how frustrating this was for a family that just wanted to find

the person responsible for taking the life of their loved one in such a sinister way.

Although the locals struggled to move on from Robert, police continued to pursue other leads.

One such lead police found interesting came from a man who was a mechanic in Rockville,

Indiana, which is about 10 minutes outside of Marshall.

He told police that he had done some work on Pixie’s car in February, just a few days

before her disappearance.

So the mechanic says that he sees a car that’s, so he works on her car earlier in the week,

and then on the morning that she disappears, he recalls seeing the car and it was being

driven by a male.

The problem was, the mechanic couldn’t recall much about what the guy looked like.

He just knew for sure that it was a man driving the car, and it wasn’t Pixie’s husband

or ex-husband.

In June, the mechanic agreed to submit himself to something a bit unconventional in hopes

of getting a better description of the man.

He sat down with a sketch artist and allowed himself to be hypnotized.

While under hypnosis, he recalled to the artist what he saw, and the artist made a composite

sketch of this mystery man.

That sketch became the only description of a possible suspect that police would ever

get a hold of.

Sure, it was obtained through unconventional methods, but investigators had no other physical

descriptions of their killer, so they took what they could get.

We got a copy of this composite sketch, which you can find on our website.

As far as we can tell, this sketch wasn’t ever publicized though, so it makes sense

that no one came forward saying they recognized the man.

As the weeks and months dragged by, tips slowed down, and the search for answers seemed to


But it stayed that way for about two years.

Pixie’s friends and family worried that they would never know what happened or why.

But then, in 1980, the FBI got a tip that had everyone hopeful that they’d finally

get some answers about Pixie’s gruesome murder.

Two years after Pixie’s death, her husband David, the Iowa farmer, placed a reward notice

in an Iowa paper offering $10,000 to anyone who could provide information leading to the

person or people responsible for Pixie’s death.

And in March of 1980, an FBI agent got a call from a man who we’ll call Ralph.

And what Ralph told this FBI agent got everyone’s attention.

He might know who killed Pixie.

Ralph said he had a buddy by the name of Pete Coakley.

Both Ralph and his friend Pete were from Columbus, Ohio, which is eight minutes west of White


According to Ralph, Pete had left Ohio for a trip to Indiana sometime around the end

of 1977.

Pete was kind of a drifter, so it wasn’t unusual for him to up and leave like that.

A few months later, sometime in the spring of 78, Ralph got a call from Pete who said

that he was finally back in Ohio and wanted to hang out.

Plus, Pete said that he had some stuff that he wanted to show him.

So Ralph went and picked up Pete and he was carrying two boxes packed with stuff, items

that clearly weren’t things that he had packed for his trip to Indiana.

Like it was mostly silverware, stuff like that.

Now at first, police were like, okay, this sounds like a bit of a stretch, but Ralph’s

story didn’t end there.

He said that later that same day, Pete’s brother came over to hang out with them and

they were both asking Pete where he got all the houseware.

And Pete was like, oh, I stole this stuff from an abandoned car at a hotel.

Pete even offered to show them the car.

So the men walked together to the Holiday Inn in White Hall.

When they got there, Pete showed Ralph the car parked on the east side of the lot and

said that’s where he had gotten the boxes full of stuff.

Ralph told police that Pete also wanted them to help him steal the rims off the car’s


But Ralph said that he caught a nasty whiff of something coming from the car.

So the three of them left the hotel parking lot and that was that.

Ralph told the FBI agent that he didn’t really think anything more of it until he saw the

reward in the paper.

And then it all seemed to connect for him.

Pete had been in Indiana around the time Pixie went missing.

He had those boxes of random items.

He led him to the mysterious car.

It made sense to Ralph that Pete was probably connected to Pixie’s murder.

And Ralph actually ended up taking investigators to the Holiday Inn parking lot to show them

the parking spot.

And surprise, it was the exact spot that Pixie’s car was found in.

So by the time police got this tip from Ralph, Pete was already in prison for another murder.

He was serving 16 years for the 1979 killing of an Ohio woman named Patricia Height, who

had been stabbed 47 times.

Knowing this about Pete just made him look like an even more viable suspect.

But law enforcement didn’t think that this was the extent of his murderous rampage.

Although it’s never been proven, Pete was suspected of killing numerous people who were

experiencing homelessness in Texas before he was arrested for Patricia’s murder.

So Pete’s history, combined with Ralph’s statement to the FBI, led to Pete becoming

the prime suspect in Pixie’s murder.

And adding to all this suspicion was the composite sketch that police had on hand.

The one that they got by hypnotizing that mechanic.

Now if you want to see the sketch, again, it’s on our website.

Agent Wheely told us that when he saw the composite sketch and compared it with Pete’s

mugshot, his jaw dropped.

Yeah, I was pretty shocked when I got this picture.

I was like, oh boy, that’s a dead ringer.

You know, you got to be careful with composites, but that was pretty darn close.

But even though Ralph’s statement and the composite sketch resemblance were pretty damning,

detectives knew that they would need more to actually charge Pete with the crime.

So detectives took a copy of Pete’s mugshot and showed it to multiple people in Marshall.

Investigators were trying to independently determine if Pete had ever visited that part

of Indiana.

And sure enough, at least one person said they’d seen Pete in Marshall before.

And this informant even knew of a buddy Pete had in the area that he’d been staying with

for some time, a man by the name of Bob Vermillion.

What’s more is that Bob Vermillion actually lived very close to the house Pixie and Robert

shared in Marshall, only about a quarter mile away.

Here’s Agent Wheely again.

Ironically, Bob Vermillion was from Columbus, Ohio too, and he moved back there, which is

eight miles from Whitehall.

So you’ve got a witness putting it, and I’m telling you, Marshall, Indiana is off the

beaten path.

To put someone in Marshall, Indiana and Whitehall, that’s very suspect there.

The evidence was stacking up against Pete, but everything was still entirely circumstantial.

What investigators were holding out for was a confession from Pete himself.

Police did get to interview Pete about Pixie’s murder while he was in prison for the murder

of Patricia Height.

But Pete denied any involvement in Pixie’s kidnapping and murder.

Pete also denied ever being present at the Whitehall Holiday Inn.

He claimed that everything Ralph said was an outright lie.

And unfortunately, Pete stuck to that story and police were stuck waiting for a confession

that would never come.

In 1982, three years after murdering Patricia Height, Pete died by suicide in prison.

It had been four years since Pixie was killed and the primary suspect was dead and police

had virtually no other leads to follow.

And with that, Pixie’s case went cold and the case remained nearly motionless for decades.

But don’t go thinking that’s the end of the story.

The case wasn’t closed and put away for good.

In 2007, Agent Wheely got a hold of the case and started reworking it.

And right away, he had an idea.

Nearly 30 years had passed since Pixie’s murder and DNA could be the missing piece

of the puzzle investigators needed to finally close the case.

So Agent Wheely went out on a limb and asked the Whitehall Police Department if they still

had the evidence for Pixie’s case.

He was especially interested in the rope that had been around Pixie’s neck when she was


He knew that it had to have been loaded with her killer’s DNA.

And sure enough, Whitehall PD did still have the evidence.

It had been sitting there untouched for three decades.

So Whitehall police sent the evidence to Agent Wheely, who then took it to the FBI’s lab

for testing.

I was like, awesome.

I was, I mean, oh, we’re so excited.

So they, he sends it out to us.

We take it to the lab and they open it up and they’re like, ugh, plastic.

As most of you might know, storing evidence in any kind of plastic is a big no-no for

investigators nowadays.

Plastic invites moisture and mold and ultimately destroys any usable DNA.

So modern day detectives now know to put their evidence in paper bags or envelopes.

But this was the 1970s before anybody really knew better.

Unfortunately, like I said, it was common evidence gets stored in plastic in the seventies

and I was all excited when I had the evidence until I got to the lab and I showed it to

him and they’re like, yeah, we’ll try.

They couldn’t, they couldn’t get anything.

This was a huge blow to the investigation.

Since there was almost no physical evidence tying Pete to the crime, they would need to

hear from an eyewitness or get some other form of evidence to be satisfied that he was

in fact the killer.

But unfortunately it was far too late for confession and no one else was coming forward

with information.

You can’t stop obsessing about it and trying to figure out what happened.

And it’s frustrating because you hit a point that I can’t take this any further, you know?

What do you do in that situation?

You try to give the family as much closure on it as I can, you know?

If this is the only evidence I have, I can’t get a conviction based on this.

I probably wouldn’t even get charges filed.

But, you know, the individual is deceased, you know, how much, how much closure can you

give the family?

You know, I think we have strong evidence to believe he was there.

So unfortunately we just not guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

When we asked Pixie’s sister Eleanor what she thought about the Pete theory, she said

that she’s not 100% sure and she’s not making any conclusions until there’s enough

evidence to warrant one.

For more than 40 years, that’s what Pixie’s family had been waiting for.

The evidence they needed to understand what happened to their beloved Pixie and why.

Eleanor, Pixie’s children, and all the other members of her family have waited long enough

for justice.

Investigators never gave up on this case and they’re not about to start now.

So if you have any information on the kidnapping and murder of Mary Beth Grismore, aka Pixie,

no matter how insignificant you think it might be, please speak up.

Call the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI, that’s 1-800-225-5324, or you can visit

And again, please check our website, check that list of items that were missing from

her car.

You might have seen one, you might have one, and that might be the missing piece to the


The Deck is an audio Chuck production with theme music by Ryan Lewis.

To learn more about The Deck and our advocacy work, visit

So what do you think, Chuck?

Do you approve?